Pentagon chief wary of tech ‘back doors’


500562_img650x420_img650x420_crop

U.S. Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has said he opposes high-tech “back doors” that would allow the government access to encrypted data on people’s phones and other devices.

The Pentagon chief’s views come amid a legal battle between Apple and the FBI, which is trying to force the tech giant to help unlock an iPhone used by one of the shooters in the San Bernardino attacks last December.

“Just to cut to the chase, I’m not a believer in back doors or a single technical approach to what is a complex and complicated problem,” Carter said to applause at a tech event in San Francisco on Wednesday, according to a transcript.

“There isn’t going to be one answer,” Carter added.

“I don’t think we ought to let one case drive a general conclusion or solution. … We have to work together to work our way through this problem.”

The FBI has said it does not want a back door, but needs Apple’s help cracking the iPhone’s password.

Apple has argued that the FBI is effectively asking the company to hack its own devices and create a back door that malicious actors could exploit, and many in the tech industry worry the case would lead to a slew of similar requests.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb//News/World/2016/Mar-03/340432-pentagon-chief-wary-of-tech-back-doors.ashx

PENTAGON CHIEF WARY OF TECH ‘BACK DOORS’


ash-carter

The Pentagon chief’s views come amid a legal battle between Apple and the FBI, which is trying to force the tech giant to help unlock an iPhone used by one of the shooters in the San Bernardino attacks last December.

“Just to cut to the chase, I’m not a believer in back doors or a single technical approach to what is a complex and complicated problem,” Carter said to applause at a tech event in San Francisco on Wednesday, according to a transcript.

“There isn’t going to be one answer,” Carter added.

http://www.infowars.com/pentagon-chief-wary-of-tech-back-doors/

Ash Carter: There Are Gitmo Detainees so Dangerous That it Is Not Safe to Transfer Them


Defense Secretary Ash Carter told reporters on Monday there are detainees at the Guantanamo Bay military prison who are so dangerous that it would not be safe to transfer them outside the care of the United States.

Carter and President Obama have drawn up a plan to move many of the remaining 91 detainees into the custody of foreign governments. Detainees not cleared for transfer overseas—those who Carter describes as too dangerous to go elsewhere—would be moved stateside in an effort to close the detention facility.

Carter made his comment while holding a press briefing at the Pentagon along with Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

A reporter asked Carter if the United States is thinking of transferring the Guantanamo Bay naval base back to the Cuban government, which he denied while drawing a distinction between the naval base and the detention facility.

“The base is separate from the detention facility,” Carter said in response. “The base is in a strategic location. We’ve had it for a long time. It’s important to us, and we intend to hold onto it.”

Carter then turned his attention to the detention center within the naval base, which he said is the specific focus of the Obama administration’ closure plan.

“With respect to the detention facility at [Guantanamo], which is what the president was speaking about last week … there are people in the Guantanamo Bay detention facility whom it is not safe to transfer to any other—they have to stay in U.S. detention,” Carter said. “Safety is the top priority for me, the chairman, and for the president.”

Carter then said that because some detainees are too dangerous to release, there needs to be an alternate facility in the U.S. for these individuals to go if Guantanamo is closed, which is at the heart of Obama’s proposal.

The Pentagon is reportedly looking at send prisoners to either the federal Supermax prison in Florence, Colo., the military prison in Leavenworth, Kansas, or the Naval Consolidated Brig in Charleston, S.C.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/ash-carter-gitmo-detainees-so-dangerous-not-safe-to-transfer/

ASH CARTER: THERE ARE GITMO DETAINEES SO DANGEROUS THAT IT IS NOT SAFE TO TRANSFER THEM


gitmo

Carter and President Obama have drawn up a plan to move many of the remaining 91 detainees into the custody of foreign governments. Detainees not cleared for transfer overseas—those who Carter describes as too dangerous to go elsewhere—would be moved stateside in an effort to close the detention facility.

Carter made his comment while holding a press briefing at the Pentagon along with Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

A reporter asked Carter if the United States is thinking of transferring the Guantanamo Bay naval base back to the Cuban government, which he denied while drawing a distinction between the naval base and the detention facility.

http://www.infowars.com/ash-carter-there-are-gitmo-detainees-so-dangerous-that-it-is-not-safe-to-transfer-them/

Carter Previews FY2017 Defense Budget Request


160202-D-LP538-038

Addressing diverse global challenges requires new thinking, new postures in some regions and new and enhanced capabilities, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said this morning during a preview of the Pentagon’s fiscal year 2017 budget request.

Speaking at the Economic Club of Washington, D.C., Carter said the $582.7 billion defense budget to be released next week as part of the administration’s fiscal year 2017 budget request, marks a major inflection point for the department.

“In this budget we’re taking the long view,” the secretary said. “We have to. Even as we fight today’s fights, we must also be prepared for the fights that might come 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.”

Five evolving challenges drive the department’s planning, he said, including Russian aggression in Europe, the rise of China in the Asia Pacific, North Korea, Iran, and the ongoing fight against terrorism, especially the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

http://www.defense.gov/News-Article-View/Article/648373/carter-previews-fy2017-defense-budget-request

Pentagon to boost funding for Raytheon, Lockheed missiles


aston-carter-759 (1)

The Pentagon will spend $2 billion over the next five years to buy more Raytheon Co Tomahawk missiles and upgrade their capabilities, bringing the U.S. inventory of the missiles to above 4,000, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said on Tuesday.

Carter said the Pentagon would also spend nearly $1 billion over the next five years to buy new Long Range Anti Ship Missiles built by Lockheed Martin Corp.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-defense-budget-arms-idUSKCN0VC02X

Pentagon chief unveils plans to buy more high-end ships, fighters


aston-carter-759 (1)

San Diego: Defence Secretary Ash Carter on Wednesday said the US. Navy would buy more high-end submarines, destroyers, fighter jets and unmanned underwater vehicles in coming years, using $8 billion saved by scaling back orders for smaller, less capable Littoral Combat Ships.

Carter said the Pentagon’s five-year budget plan also included $2.9 billion to modify Raytheon Co’s new SM-6 missiles for use as powerful anti-ship weapons and buy 625 more of the weapons, which are now used for missile defence.

In fiscal 2017, the Navy would spend $587 million to buy 125 SM-6 missiles, according to a senior defence official.

Secret testing last month had proven the Navy’s ability to use the new Raytheon missiles as offensive anti-ship weapons, Carter told sailors at the Navy’s massive San Diego base.

http://gulfnews.com/news/americas/usa/pentagon-chief-unveils-plans-to-buy-more-high-end-ships-fighters-1.1665881

Carter Unveils Budget Details; Pentagon Requests $582.7 Billion


635877556554241486-DFN-P-P-Americas2

President Obama’s fiscal year 2017 budget will request $582.7 billion in funding for the Pentagon, including $71.4 billion for research and development, $7.5 billion to fight the Islamic State group, $8.1 billion for submarines, and $1.8 billion on munitions, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter announced Tuesday morning.

In a speech previewing next week’s budget release, Carter also highlighted new technologies his department is developing to meet what he called a “major inflection point” that takes “the long view” for the Department.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2016/02/02/carter-unveils-budget-details-pentagon-requests-5827b-funding/79686138/

Carter wants to boost Navy fighters


114407770-1331

The Pentagon chief wants to boost the number of F-35 and Super Hornets for the Navy, our colleague Austin Wright reports from Naval Base San Diego: “The Pentagon wants to buy 13 more F-35s for the Navy than previously planned over the next five years, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told sailors during a troop talk here Wednesday. That includes 10 more of the Navy variant F-35s and three more of the Marine variant of the Lockheed Martin-made fighter jet.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/morning-defense/2016/02/carter-wants-to-boost-navy-fighters-hunter-bill-would-require-women-to-register-for-draft-syrian-peace-talks-hit-pause-button-212525#ixzz3zG6AQGIQ

Pentagon chief: 2017 budget includes $7B for cyber


Carter_Ashton

To better train the Defense Department’s cybersecurity personnel and develop more offensive tools, the department’s fiscal 2017 budget request includes nearly $7 billion for cyberspace operations, said Defense Secretary Ash Carter.

“Among other things, this will help to further DOD’s network defenses, which is critical; build more training ranges for our cyber warriors; and also develop cyber tools and infrastructure needed to provide offensive cyber options,” Carter said in a Feb. 2 speech. President Barack Obama will formally submit the budget request next week.

https://fcw.com/articles/2016/02/02/dod-budget-cyber.aspx