Trump climate agreement: Rest of world rallies around Paris deal


_96303113_077d89ab-5ae7-4f40-b004-b89dab11f71b.jpg

China, the EU and India, which along with the US make up the four biggest emitters of carbon dioxide, have restated their commitment to the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change.

Top EU official Donald Tusk said at a summit with China that Brussels and Beijing would step up co-operation.

Mr Trump announced the US was leaving for economic reasons, saying the deal would cost American jobs.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the US would still curb emissions.

Amid widespread international condemnation of the US decision, Russian President Vladimir Putin said he would “not judge” Mr Trump.

The Paris agreement commits the US and 194 other countries to keeping rising global temperatures “well below” 2C above pre-industrial levels and “endeavour to limit” them even more, to 1.5C.

The UN World Meteorological Organisation said on Friday that, in the worst scenario, the US pullout could add 0.3C to global temperatures by the end of the century.

What do the EU and China say?

European Council President Donald Tusk said after meeting Chinese Premier Li Keqiang that the two powers took their responsibilities seriously.

“Today, China and Europe have demonstrated solidarity with future generations and responsibility for the whole planet,” he told reporters at a joint news conference.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40136908

Resorts World Manila: At least 36 bodies found at casino complex


_96314510_1d1d7201-0214-4d4f-b6e0-fdd097e3ad82.jpg

Most of the dead suffocated in thick toxic smoke after the man set fire to casino tables, officials told the BBC.

The gunman, whose nationality is not yet known, began shooting in the casino in Resorts World Manila in the early hours of Friday morning.

Police said he later killed himself by setting himself on fire.

Authorities initially said there were no casualties, but appear to have only found the bodies while sweeping the complex after the gunman’s body was recovered.

Manchester attack: Police not sharing information with US


 

_96199328_mediaitem96199327.jpg

UK officials were outraged when photos appearing to show debris from the attack appeared in the New York Times.

It came after the name of bomber Salman Abedi was leaked to US media just hours after the attack, which left 22 dead.

Theresa May said she would tell Donald Trump at a Nato meeting that shared intelligence “must remain secure”.

The US’s acting ambassador to the UK “unequivocally condemned” the leaks in a BBC radio interview.

“These leaks were reprehensible, deeply distressing,” Lewis Lukens said.

“We have had communications at the highest level of our government … we are determined to identify these leaks and to stop them.”

Meanwhile, the Queen has been to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital visiting some of the injured as well as members of the emergency services.

While there she paid tribute to Manchester and the “extraordinary” way the city had responded to Monday’s attack at an Ariana Grande concert, in which 116 people were also injured.

Families’ distress

In total eight men are now in custody following the bombing carried out by Manchester-born Abedi, a 22-year-old from a family of Libyan origin.

The arrests have been “significant” while searches of premises have also yielded items “important to the investigation”, Greater Manchester Police said.

It has also emerged two people who had known Abedi at college made separate calls to a hotline to warn the police about his extremist views.

A Whitehall source said Abedi was one of a “pool” of former subjects of interest whose risk remained “subject to review” by the security service and its partners.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40040210

Canada school shooting: Five killed in Saskatchewan


_87863411_canadalalochesaskatchewan4640116

Brad Wall, the premier of Saskatchewan, said there had been a shooting at a school in an aboriginal community but did not give details about the victims.

“Words cannot express my shock and sorrow at the horrific events today in La Loche,” he said.

“My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims, their families and friends and all the people of the community.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35388594?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Five people killed in Canada school shooting


_87862851_laloche

What unfolded at La Loche Community School in the north of the province was “every parent’s nightmare”, he said, adding that a suspect was in custody.

Witnesses described screaming and more than half a dozen shots.

Mr Trudeau told reporters: “Police have assured me that the situation is under control.”

He added: “Obviously, this is every parent’s worst nightmare and all of us across this country – hearts are going out to the families and to the whole community.”

Brad Wall, the premier of Saskatchewan, said there had been a shooting at a school in an aboriginal community but did not give details about the victims.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35388594